The PAC arranges an information evening annually for 4th, 5th and 6th class parents about the transition to secondary school.
The information from that evening was captured and summarised on THIS PAGE HERE.
Below list is where past pupils of Canal Way have gone to secondary school
- Sandymount Park ETSS – Dublin 4
- Clogher Road Community College
- Sandymount ETSS
- Harolds Cross ETSS
- Drimnagh Castle Secondary School
- Loreto College Secondary School – Dublin 12
- ST Mac Dara’s Community College – Dublin 6W
- The High School – Dublin 6
- Newpark Comprehensive School Co.Dublin
- St Louis High School
- St Marys College·
Tips & Advice for Parents:
- Majority of schools the application window is in first months of 6th class, majority have October as deadline, but check the schools websites directly for details
- Have Birth Certificates handy, some schools want original, others accept scans.
- Pick what’s right for your family the kids will adjust
- The ETSS have catchment areas based on postal code, priority is given to kids applying from those catchment areas
- Don’t stress! The process can be lengthy but most get the offers from schools applied to
- They find new friends quickly
- They are ready for the transition. Schools help them transition.
- Independence happens quickly
Below list of other resources that parents might find useful:
NPC have produced THIS LEAFLET
Special Education Needs Leaflet Changing Schools Information
School Days Helpful Tips for Parents
Citizens Advice Moving Your Child To Second Level In Ireland
Transition Booklet from Folens: