At Canal Way ETNS, we nurture children’s voices. We listen to students and cherish their views and thoughts. We empower them to be part of decision making and create a space for this to happen in our classroom activities, consultations, assemblies, and also our councils. We have many different student councils and each one helps us to think more critically and have helped develop our culture and traditions over the years. Below, you will see how our children develop values and learn about social responsibilities. All children are elected onto the councils annually and we thank you all for your tireless work and fantastic ideas and contributions – Dermot, School Principal.
STUDENT COUNCIL: has been running for 5 years now and has done extensive work in the following areas –
- Improving facilities for our children – Yard & toilet make-overs.
- Developing school traditions.
- Representing CWETNS at annual Educate Together Conferences.
- Protesting at Environmental Marches
- There is a Student Council Post Box in the reception of the school, and we welcome new ideas and items you want to bring to the Student Council.
GREEN SCHOOL COUNCIL: been running for 5 years also. They are working on the following:
- Raising awareness around energy use by encouraging both children and adults to”Just switch it off! The committee have decided to appoint Energy Guardians in each class and are designing badges for them to wear.
- Developing ideas for and planning our entry in the ” for the love of Solar” competition.
- Members of the committee attend workshops and hear presentations from other schools and also experts in water, energy, recycling.
- Our attention is turning outdoors to the garden now. The Spring bulbs planted last autumn have begun to grow.We have 4 compost bins in operation and are putting all the fallen leaves to good use making compost.
- Each class will have an Energy Guardian and they will turn off lights and whiteboards throughout the day.
WELL BEING COUNCIL
Content coming soon
Content Coming Soon