At Canal Way ETNS, we nurture children’s voices. We listen to students and cherish their views and thoughts. We empower them to be part of decision making and create a space for this to happen in our classroom activities, consultations, assemblies, and also our councils. We have many different student councils and each one helps us to think more critically and have helped develop our culture and traditions over the years. Below, you will see how our children develop values and learn about social responsibilities. All children are elected onto the councils annually and we thank you all for your tireless work and fantastic ideas and contributions – Dermot, School Principal.
STUDENT COUNCIL: has been running for 5 years now and has done extensive work in the following areas –
- Improving facilities for our children – Yard & toilet make-overs.
- Developing school traditions.
- Representing CWETNS at annual Educate Together Conferences.
- Protesting at Environmental Marches
- There is a Student Council Post Box in the reception of the school, and we welcome new ideas and items you want to bring to the Student Council.
Each class will have students who take care of environmental items in our classrooms such as
- Managing recycling and binging bins to collection points daily
- Turning off lights at every break
- Turning off interactive boards at every break